Tuesday, March 3

Wrap Me Up

I'm a bubble gum enthusiast. The foil wrappers, the tangy artificial taste, and the numbing occupation of chewing for hours and hours on end.

Since I was a kid, I haven't kept up with my bubble gum chewing habits in a while. Recently though, Elixir gum made me rethink this.

It's not the flavor, kids. It's the wrapper.





Beautiful, brocade-ish, pink wrapper. I feel like I'm on cloud nine everytime I look at it.

And so the inspiration begins: this would make a beautiful fabric. Unfortunately, not many people believe in the ability of "thinking out of the box" as far as sewing together foil bubble gum wrappers. I believe in my heart of hearts I can pull this off (if only I knew how to sew.)

So I'd like to kick off my project outline: Candy Wrappers - The Unknown Frontier of Crafting.

Sure, everyone knows how to make
Starburst Wrapper Bracelets.


Or you can shoe it.










Even a dress, hat, and really, that's it.





My ambition is to take it one step further. To actually make a dress out of bubble gum foil wrappers. Oh yeah, it's hard, but is it do-able?

Theoretically, sure - why not? Bond the individual wrappers, cut out a pattern, maybe even line the wrappers with a softer malleable fabric/material.

Maybe a mini dress like Pinto's.. or something like Belle's (which is a flippin hot pattern).



So I'm going to start to collect my wrappers! Squee!



In other news, I'm still eyeing this old chair I still have from my salvaging expedition four months ago from a Hollywood residential street.



I was inspired by this. Of course, I don't think I can pull off a duplicate without the whole thing screaming: KNOCKOFF!! But with this sort of chair "shape", patterns wouldn't work because of the 'curve'. So probably a solid color.



I just have difficulty picking a color, buying the fabric, and deboning the damn thing like I said I was going to four months ago. It's now unofficially the cats' hangout, happy to have something they can climb all over and scratch and ruin because it's already ruined anyway. And now I'm thinking about getting this chair (even though it's in CHATSWORTH of all places, and I have no real mode of transportation to get it to me). But it's sooooo coooooool looking and it's got potential up the ying yang to be OFF THE HOOK.


I mean, come on - I can tell it can be a REALLY cool lounge chair. And it's FREE (unless you remember the fact that upholstery can run up to 200 bucks even if you are doing it yourself.)




But I almost don't want to get it just because, well, I HAVEN'T EVEN REUPHOLSTERED THE OTHER ONE. I don't want my place to be FULL of chairs I'm not USING for sitting down (instead of a dump ground for papers, broken locks, and cats).


BUT IT'S SOOOOO COOOL LOOKING and I know how hard it is to find a chair like this FREE!

So I'm gonna stew on it til the end of the day and then beg whomever can pick this chair up for me (at a minimal cost, gadzooks!)

Every weekend, I tell myself: okay, I'm gonna do something, gonna do something, gonna get something finished.



And I almost never do. Not in the sense of physically putting together what's inside my head.



Like for instance, this past weekend was going to be focused on planning/building my kitchen table. The closest I got was doodling the dimensions on my sketchpad and handing it to the BF.

That's it. That's all I did.

And it's like, well look man... All I need is a table with four stools. A nice high bar-inspired table, rectangularish.. maybe a square. Small enough to be quaint in my kitchen - but enough space to put a few dishes on there, a game board, something like that. And I don't want to break the budget of $100 total.

Inspiration: Apartment Therapy's Katzies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must agree about the Elixir wrappers... such the perfect shade of fuchsia! I'm thinking about decoupaging my LCD flat screen monitor with them.. XD