Tuesday, March 17

Officially Looking For a Second Job

The Economic Crisis (recession, my ass. This is a Depression Remix) is getting us all in little bits. Several months ago I was contemplating leaving my job to find something better suited to a schedule for full-time college status.

Forget that. I can't even get a raise to compensate the rent increase for my studio. Who honestly raises the rent when everyone's getting laid off? They must be really stupid or really greedy (or both).

So now in leiu of finding another better paying job, I've just got to work on supplementing my income and work every living hour I've got off from work. Or work two part-time jobs. I'm actually considering the latter. I'd leave the 9-5 for the 4-10 or 7-12? I mean, it would free up SOME unconventional time for me to pay bills, do schoolwork, go to the library..attend class..

So I'll just submit my resume some places. Anyone else feel the same sort of crunch?

My mini-essay to a Nonprofit Organization hiring fieldworkers for transportation lobbying

Like many in my generation, I believe that a return to mass public transportation in the form of rail lines (light and underground) is a statement to the future. No longer can Los Angeles depend solely on roads and freeways; we need something else for those who care for the environment, who cannot afford luxuries like cars and the insurance and upkeep it requires, who want something easier than dealing with a daily dose of road rage.


I think there needs to be more pressure on these issues, probably more than one thinks. Ultimately if a large urban structure like Los Angeles operated primarily on rail - and to a lesser extent buses - and relied on cars as a secondary form of travel, several happy side effects would occur. For one, tourism would increase if there was easier ways to travel across the vast expanse of L.A. Another happy side effect: jobs, jobs, jobs. More rail, more jobs - in every sense of the word; jobs to operate and navigate mass transit, jobs to upkeep and take care of those operations, and jobs to build the machinery and infrastructure. Ultimately, I think that this route would make more sense than the senseless repairing of roads (not to mention all the potholes in L.A. that will never be filled in anyone's current lifetime) and would actually give long-term profit and make fiscal sense.


So I want to make a difference in this area and inspire others to take charge and remind them that above all, mass transportation has the most to benefit and offer Los Angeles (and the world) and its citizens.


No comments: