Wednesday, March 4

Re-election

I think elections should mean something. I think they're the perfect opportunity to express your voice.

If you don't like something, run for office.

And it feels like lately, there's nothing I like in Californian politics.

So I think next election cycle, I'm going to serious run against whoever is "unopposed". I want to ask questions and stir up drama.

But mostly, I guess I shouldn't be disappointed in the people of L.A. for not showing up in droves. A lot of them probably weren't aware that yesterday they had to vote (for Mayor, for City Controller, for a bunch of measures that shouldn't have passed yet did). I blame the media for not 'hyping' it up like they should've - afterall, if they can on a regular basis make mountains out of molehills, why not at least do some coverage? Do candidates need to do publicity stunts to get attention for their elections? Sometimes I'm disappointed in the city of L.A. So much potential, yet so little delivery.

So now they'll have to suffer the consequences. It only fuels my anger that we have to go through this (again, and again, and again).

But it all goes back to education: those that are educated about the tools they have available to use will most likely use them. And a good majority of Los Angelinos are not educated, let alone the percentage that are legal citizens.

So I guess the lesson here is guys: when your opponent is big and rich, 'underdog' it. Use the resources that you DO have available: the internet (twitter, blog, myspace, facebook, chat, IM, youtube), word of mouth (friends, relatives, random people), viral advertising (posters on poles, buses, freeways), and best of all - your diligence. Your strength and determination and pride are all on the line which is all it takes to gamble it all.

Go big or go home.

Seriously.

No comments: